Elder Care Law: Guardianship and Conservatorship

When an individual lacks the cognitive or functional capability to make health care decisions and ensure their own well-being and safety, an interested person may petition the probate court for guardianship of the incapacitated person.

Similarly, an incapacitated individual who cannot handle their own financial affairs may be in need of conservatorship, where a responsible party handles financial matters like paying bills and taxes, taking care of investments and making important financial decisions.

Adverse health events like strokes or accidents and changes as people get older may make guardianships and/or conservatorships necessary for safety and wealth preservation. While you do not need an attorney to petition for either of these in the state of Georgia, having experienced representation can make the conservatorship and guardianship process smoother and increase your chances of success.

The elder law attorneys at Speights Law can help you navigate this sometimes difficult and emotionally charged process. We can guide you through each step of the process and handle the legal side of things so you can focus on caring for your family.

Our law team can also advise you on other important aspects of estate planning, including things like Medicaid planning, special needs trusts, long-term care planning, power of attorney, advance healthcare directives, wills, trusts and more.

Why Choose Speights Law?

Speights Law knows how difficult the decision to seek guardianship or conservatorship can be on you and your loved ones. Our elder law and estate planning attorneys are the best in Cherokee County, and we are dedicated to bringing understanding, compassion, and expertise to every case we handle.

Call us at (770) 575-8646 and let us help you through this challenging time.

Representing Clients Throughout Metro Atlanta

Ball Ground



Holly Springs




Estate Planning

Estate Planning

long term care

Long Term Care


Medicaid Planning


Special Needs Trust

qualified income trust

Qualified Income Trust

veteran aid

Veterans Aid