Adoption in

If You’re Looking to Adopt a Child or Adult in Waleska, Speights Law Can Help

Waleska is a gorgeous, warm college town just north of Canton, Georgia.

Waleska is a charming town in northern Cherokee County. Home to Lake Arrowhead and Reinhardt University, Waleska embodies a balance between small-town charm and modern conveniences, making it a coveted destination for families in search of a peaceful, enriching place to call home.

Cherokee County residents and business owners deserve discretion and expertise as they navigate the complications of family law cases. If you need an adoption attorney in Waleska, contact Speights Law right away.

Speak To An Attorney Who Can Help You Right Now


Why Would a Parent Want to Modify Custody?

A parent may want to modify the child custody agreement for a variety of reasons. These reasons may range from things as simple as changes in the family schedule or changes in the needs or wants of the child to more serious situations like parental abuse or neglect.

Another reason a parent may seek a child custody modification is when one parent wants to relocate somewhere far away.

While minor changes to the custodial agreement may be made informally between parents, bigger changes usually require a child custody modification approved by the court.

Common reasons for custody modification filing include:

• Desire for more contact with the non-custodial parent, including 50/50 joint custody.
• Parental relocation due to a new job or marriage.
• Parental financial changes, for better or worse.
• Changing needs as children get older.
• Changes in a child’s physical, emotional or academic needs.
• Custody preferences of a child aged 14 or older.
• Repeated parental violation of child custody orders.
• Failure of custodial parent to fulfill parental duties.
• Situations of abuse, neglect or abandonment.

If you have a good reason for wanting to change your child custody agreement, it is recommended that you work with a family lawyer who has experience in child custody modifications.

Why Do I Need an Attorney for my
Waleska Adoption Case?

While you do not legally need an attorney to file for adoption in Waleska under Georgia law, having one is highly recommended. The list of legal requirements for any adoption is long and the paperwork required is extensive and full of legal jargon.

We can help you cut through the red tape and fulfill all the requirements for successful and happy adoption. Speights Law knows the Cherokee County court system inside and out, and we have the experience to help your adoption proceed smoothly and be finalized as quickly as possible.

Whether you need representation for an independent adoption, relative adoption, stepparent adoption or an adult adoption, Speights can help you. Don’t take a chance by hiring a less experienced firm or trying to go it alone – the stakes are way too high.

Waleska’s Adoption Experts

Many families in Waleska are looking to adopt, but don’t understand the legal issues involved.

The family law attorneys at Speights Law can educate you about the process in Cherokee County and help you navigate it properly.

We will work to ensure your adoption is done correctly, so you won’t have to worry about legal challenges down the line. Our attorneys have helped many families in the Waleska area achieve a happy and successful adoption.

The Adoption Process Isn’t Always Easy. Speights Can Help

We will make sure your Waleska adoption filing is done right and that your legal rights are protected.

Adoption isn’t just a matter of filling out forms – there are complex legal issues involved. Parental rights may need to be surrendered, your fitness as a parent needs to be assessed, and there can be a lot of competing interests at play.

Going about the process wrong may mean your petition is denied or that you and your family face devastating and costly delays. There are even situations where you may incur legal repercussions or challenges to your adoption if everything is not handled correctly.

Don’t risk your family’s future by hiring the wrong firm – hire the experts at Speights, the top family law firm in the Waleska area.

Meet the Waleska’s Best Adoption Attorneys

Adoption law experts Amanda Speights, Holly Holliman, and the team at Speights Law are experienced in all types of Georgia adoptions.


Amanda Speights

Amanda Speights is co-founder and lead family law attorney at Speights Law. She graduated first in her class at John Marshall Law School in 2009 and won numerous awards and recognitions during her time there.

Amanda has more than 10 years’ experience in the courtroom and has argued and won cases before every court in Georgia. She is equally at home arguing cases before the Georgia Supreme Court and fighting for the rights of clients in the family courts of Cherokee County.

Her insight into the many complexities of family law as well as her compassion and understanding for her clients has earned her a reputation as being one of the best divorce attorneys in Canton.

Holly Varner - Speights Law

Holly Holliman

Holly Holliman joined the Speights law team in 2021 and specializes in divorce, custody and family law cases. After getting her law degree from Georgia State University in 2006, she worked as a Cherokee County prosecutor and later as Deputy Chief Assistant District Attorney.

Holly has been fighting for children for almost 20 years. She is passionate about protecting the interests of children and brings a prosecutor’s tenacity to her family law cases. She works tirelessly to achieve the best resolution for her divorce clients, both in pre-trial negotiations and in court.

What are the different types of adoption in Georgia?

Independent Adoption

Independent Adoption

Relative Adoption

Relative Adoption

Stepparent Adoption

Stepparent Adoption

Adult Adoption

Adult Adoption

Besides adopting through an agency or foster care, hopeful parents in Waleska can choose to adopt a child through a private or independent adoption. This kind of adoption usually involves agreement between the birth parents and the adoptive parents, and an adoption lawyer is usually hired as an intermediary.

Another type of adoption that is increasingly common in Georgia is a relative or kinship adoption, in which a close family member adopts a younger member of the family. Reasons for relative adoption may include abuse, neglect, abandonment, the death of the child’s parents, or their inability to care for the child.

Stepparent adoption, in which a stepchild is adopted, is also a commonly sought form of adoption in Georgia. Adult adoptions, where an adult is adopted, may be sought to protect a family inheritance or formalize an established familial bond.

Speights Law has years of experience helping Waleska families adopt under Georgia law. Our knowledge of the Cherokee County court system and our dedication means your case will always be in good hands.

What Does It Take to Modify Child Custody?

Simply wanting a custody change is not enough to successfully petition for a modification. To modify custody in Georgia, you must show that there has been a material change in circumstances that will affect the child’s well-being. Moreover, any change requested must be shown to be in the best interests of the child.

While you may have good cause for requesting a custody modification, proving your case to a judge is not always easy – especially if your ex disagrees.

You will need to show proof of the material change in circumstances you’re basing your request on, and you will need to show how the change will benefit your child and not just your own personal needs.

You may also need to counter any opposing arguments the child’s other parent makes, and the situation can easily become contentious.

Having our experienced legal team on your side can make things go more smoothly and increase your chances of success.

Do I Have to Wait to File to Modify Custody?

You do not have to wait to file for a child custody modification after a divorce in the state of Georgia. Even if your original custody agreement is fairly recent, any material change in circumstances that may affect the welfare of your child is grounds for a modification.

A child custody modification filing can take some time to be processed and decided upon by the court. For this reason, it is usually a good idea to be proactive and talk to an attorney as soon as you think you have good grounds and a pressing need to modify custody

Do I Need to File for Child Custody Modification in Court?

Many parents can agree on reasonable and minor changes to a child custody agreement, especially if the relationship is cooperative and amicable. Things like visitation day switches, vacation and holiday schedules, and simple parenting plan modifications can often be achieved through mutual agreement.

Under these circumstances, a child custody modification filing in court may not be strictly necessary.

For larger changes or for situations where agreement is difficult, however, a modify custody filing is often the best route.

Why? For one thing, informal changes are not enforceable, and trying to implement changes with an unwilling parent can lead to unnecessary friction and distress for you and your child.

For any substantial child custody modification, getting a court-ordered change is the best way to protect your rights and ensure the best for your child. Our experienced family law firm can assess your situation, advise you on your rights and help you successfully file for the custody modification you need.

Waleska's Adoption Experts

We will make sure your Waleska adoption filing is done right and that your legal rights are protected.